Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Purge


I was sick of it! The sneaking, the smuggling, the whining, the sticky wrappers behind the couch.

"No more!" I declared. "Today is the last day of Halloween candy."

My children were perplexed by the statement, and downright shocked as I proceeded to dump all four buckets of candy out into the middle of the kitchen table. It was 8 am.

"Eat up," I say. "Whatever you don't eat by noon, goes into the trash."
Kate embraced this. She's the number one offender of sneaking candy anyway. She began shoveling the sugar into her mouth as fast a she could open packages. Collin was more suspicious. He'd never encountered this mommy before. He needed many questions answered and still throughout the allotted time needed permission to indulge. He even quietly asked, "What about breakfast?"

"This is it, ," I say as I hand each of the twins a dum-dum. Joe strolls through about this time. He's been listening to my rant from the office, and has a smirk on his face.

"Quite a way to start off Thanksgiving break," he comments more to himself than me.

An hour later, the twins are in bed and Collin has disappeared, but Kate is still parked at the table, sticky candy residue clinging to her chin. "Kate," I say, "are you trying to eat all of that candy?"

"Yeah." She seems to be speaking and moving much slower than usual.

"What's going to happen when you do?"

"My stomach's gonna hurt real bad, and I'll probably throw up."

"So why are you doing it?" There's no response from my daughter; she's staring off into space with a lollipop in each hand.

No one complained when "lunchtime" came, and I scooped the rest of the candy into the trash. No one wanted any lunch either. Weird.

12 comments:

Hailey said...

I just can't believe how much candy you still have! Did you trick-or-treat for six hours? The only candy we have left in our community bowl is Tootsie Rolls and yellow Starburst--sick!!

Beeswax said...

Like that you got the twins involved.

Jane said...

That's awesome! i have six kids and never thought of that one. I'm filing that trick away for future reference.

Jenni said...

That is hilarous...I love that Kate was the die-hard in the end. THe twinners are so cutie with lolipops! Can't wait for all these kidos to play with each other in a few weeks!

erin said...

What a fun way to get rid of Halloween candy!

erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tiffany knox said...

I did the same thing! I dont want to see another sucker for atleast 340 days.
tiff

Beeswax said...

Okay, this one is better than looking at the shower cleaner for weeks, but it is still time for something new.

Unknown said...

First of all, I am still laughing so hard from the other entry about naked babies! It is soo true! Bibs never stay on and you always think you'll get them dressed after nap time! We have the same dilemma at our house! And yes, Kale is always in underwear and a shirt too! It's way easier for him to go potty!
But, I love this candy idea! I also just love that Kate just kept going! So, cute and very smart of you!

Blake and Meg said...

I'm taking notes!!!

Megan (Smith) Brady

Fuller's said...

Wow, your twins are growing so fast. Hope you are enjoying this new year. Would love to visit sometime. Myrona
http://fullerfun.blogspot.com/

tiffany knox said...

hey !
if you tried to visit my page and couldnt its because I had to go private because of some unwanted readers.PLEASE leave me your email if you want to view our family blog
email me at tfrsnfr@yahoo.com to leave it!