Sunday, September 9, 2007

So much pressure

And I'm not talking about oysters and pearls here...

It really seems that one's first blog must be tremendously profound, witty, or at the very least informative.

The obvious question from you, my friends and family, must be: Why now? Blogging is practically passe. Well, guilt is a powerful motivator in my life. I call myself a writer by trade (albeit retired), and have nothing to show for it these past few years. My journal collects dust; my scrapbook is paused at my first-born's 6-month mark (he'll be 7 years next month); and I'm afraid of forgetting the beautiful experiences with my children.

Besides record-keeping, I find writing terribly cathartic. In the tradition of my super cool s-i-l and fellow mother of twins, Hailey, I long to deposit all my trials and frustrations in a somewhat funny forum for all to enjoy.

After all, a pearl is made whenever an oyster doesn't have sufficient strength to expel foreign matter stuck inside it. It's been awhile, and these are my pearls.

(I know some people in my family who are going to take that the wrong way and really have a good time with it....)

There is also a law, irrevocably decreed, that I shall do nothing significant in my life until cousin Kelly does it first. Kelly has now entered the blog world at http://diversifiedbeeson.blogspot.com. She wanted me to comment. In order to do so, I had to register. Once I registered, a prompt asked me if I wanted to start my own blog -- it was only a matter of time before the powerful forces of guilt and Kelly finally pushed me to it.

2 comments:

Beeswax said...

Hahaha. It ain't about guilt, sister, its about something to do besides the dishes! Now, if you've got a lot of foreign matter to expel, you probably haven't been making and eating enough homemade whole wheat bread. I made some today, and I'll bring you a loaf(that's supposed to make you feel more guilty). Those nutritious whole grains you can't get in store bought bread will set you back to right soon enough.(I didn't really make bread. I love the blog name. Can you help me with mine?

MAINLAW said...

You have a great start here with some wonderful "pearls". Keep it up! It's such great fun to learn about your episodes and adventures in this unique way. I have some great homemade bread recipes, some of them with bran, a great mover of foreign matter! You'll be writing like mad, unable to stop long enough to feed the kids. Do you need a housekeeper/nanny/cook?